Young Men’s Leadership Program
Mentoring Young Leaders for Success
The Young Men’s Leadership Program provides opportunities for mentorship, healthy engagement, and individual growth for promising young men in South Eleuthera. Low high school graduation and high unemployment rates signify the need for positive role models and increased opportunities for learning at this critical time in adolescent development.
The Young Men’s Leadership Program is an extracurricular mentorship program dedicated to the success of young men in South Eleuthera. Through this program young men are supported to become leaders in their communities by building grit, determination, self-awareness, leadership, and conflict resolution skills. Boys in the program receive mentorship twice a week to support their academics and engage in activities to build character development.
The Young Men’s Leadership Program centers around the following core values:
Teaches self awareness and pride and highlights strategies to improve learning and success
Not necessarily knowing all the answers, but instead having the ability to ask the right questions
Highlights the bravery it takes to lead one’s peers in a positive direction
Dissects larger systems and trends and allows space for young men to discuss big issues
Recent Program Highlights
- Positive character traits workshop with opportunities to reflect on personal behaviors
- Goal planning for educational engagement and achievement
- CPR and AED certification completed by all
- Social emotional learning utilizing hip-hop to express emotions
- Discovering scuba diving
- Mentorship focused on future career interests and emotional regulation
- A decrease in behavioral disruptions during and outside of programming
- Physical challenges including run-swims, bicycle riding, basketball games, and exercise drills
- Increased group GPA average from 2.28 to 2.68
The Island School Stories
My experience with the Young Men’s Leadership Program has been very informative and educational. The YMLP is an active group. We work on skills that relate to the world such as leader skills, work skills, grooming, and more. I like this group because we also interact a lot with our ecosystems and keep our environment clean.
Register & Apply
Registration for the Young Men’s Leadership Program is available below.